Thursday 28 July 2011

Grandma


 
My Grandmother died recently. I am from a small family & we were very close. I wanted to put these up and explain a little of her significance to my work.
 
 She was 96 when she died and as she was getting older I knew there was one thing I could do that I knew would make her very happy- and that was to get my work published in The People's Friend. She got the magazine every week without fail for as long as I can remember and if there was one topic of conversation you could count on to bring a smile to her face, that was it.
 Happily for me the magazine is one of the few that still regularly use illustrators & it had been my driving long-term goal to get something published in there. Eventually I succeeded and got a great deal of pleasure from showing her my painting and name in the magazine and letting her show it off to her friends. It was a pleasure I got to experience several times as the magazine continued to offer me work. I am very very thankful that I got that chance.
 
These paintings are birthday and Christmas gifts I did for her over the last couple of years, they stayed in her room and I hope they made her happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment